Whatcom WRITES 2020
Whatcom WRITES is a writing contest offering writers of all ages and experience levels an opportunity to explore themes related to the year’s Whatcom READS title. Top entries are selected for publication and public presentation.
Deadline to enter is midnight, October 15, 2019.
Writing Theme: Discovery
Read the Whatcom READS 2020 selection and write on the theme of discovery:
- Does discovery bring regret, provide clarity, impart a rosy glow?
- How has discovery, whether internal or external, changed the course of your life, and where did it take you?
- What are you seeing in the light of discovery right now, and why?
How to Enter
1. Email your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1,500 word limit, one entry per person.
- Poetry, fiction, and nonfiction are welcome.
- In the subject line, include your name, title of work,
and word count.
- In the body of the email include your name, address,
and phone number.
2. Attach two MS Word documents to your entry email:
- A 50-word biographical writer’s statement which – if your entry is selected – will appear in the anthology.
- Your submission of 1,500 words or less.
The Fine Print
Entries will be judged on their originality, design and creativity, demonstrated writing skill, and appropriateness to the contest theme.
Whatcom READS will publish an anthology of the top entries received, in both print and digital editions. Portions of an entry may be published rather than the whole.
People who submit the top entries will be invited to make a public presentation of their work.
By submitting an entry, writers grant permission for Whatcom READS to share their entries, in part or in whole, in the print and digital anthology editions, as well as in other Whatcom READS print and digital publications, websites and social media sites, and public presentations. Rights return to the author upon publication.
Published Whatcom WRITES Collections
Published Whatcom WRITES collections can be found at your local library.
Have questions about Whatcom WRITES? Contact us!