Please Note: Entries for Whatcom WRITES 2019 no longer being accepted as the deadline has passed. Stay tuned for Whatcom WRITES 2020, to be announced by Fall 2019.
Whatcom WRITES is a writing contest offering writers of all ages and experience levels an opportunity to explore themes related to the year’s Whatcom READS title. Top entries are selected for publication and public presentation.
Calling All Writers: Read the Book, Write about “Hindsight!”
- Does hindsight bring regret, provide clarity, impart a rosy glow?
- How has hindsight changed the course of your life and where did it
- What are you seeing in the light of hindsight right now, and why?
Entries were due by 12 Midnight October 22, 2018
How to Enter
1. Email your entry to email@example.com.
- 1,500 word limit, one entry per person.
- Poetry, fiction, and nonfiction are welcome.
- In the subject line, include your name, title of work,
and word count.
- In the body of the email include your name, address,
and phone number.
2. Attach two MS Word documents to your entry email:
- A 50-word biographical writer’s statement which – if your entry is selected – will appear in the anthology
- Your submission of 1,500 words or less.
The Fine Print
Entries received are judged on a rubric that includes originality, design and creativity, demonstrated writing skills, and appropriateness to contest theme.
Whatcom READS will publish a print and electronic anthology of the top entries received. People who submit top entries will be invited to make a public presentation of their work.
By submitting an entry, writers grant permission to Whatcom READS to share their entries, in part or in whole, in the anthology and in other Whatcom READS print and digital publications, websites and social media sites, and public presentations. Rights return to the author upon publication.
Published Whatcom WRITES Collections
Published Whatcom WRITES collections from 2018 and earlier can be found at your local library.
The Whatcom WRITES 2018 collection is linked below:
Have questions about Whatcom WRITES? Contact us!