Whatcom WRITES invites writers of all ages and experience levels to explore a theme inspired by the Whatcom READS book each year. Top entries are selected for publication in the Whatcom WRITES anthology and contributors are invited to read at a public presentation.
The theme for 2021 is RECONCILIATION, drawn from Esi Edugyan’s novel Washington Black. Find submission guidelines below. Submission deadline is midnight, Oct. 15, 2020.
ESI EDUGYAN VISITS MARCH 2021
Read Washington Black and see what Esi Edugyan’s characters discover through exploration and adventure. Join the discussions at events — including visits from the award-winning author.
WHATCOM WRITES SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
- One entry per person, 1,500-word limit.
- Poetry, fiction, and non-fiction are welcome.
- Entries are judged on their originality, design and creativity, demonstrated writing skill, and appropriateness to the contest theme.
How to Enter
- Send your submissions via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In the subject line include your name, title of work, and word count.
- In the body of the email include your name, address, and phone number.
- Attach a short biographical writer’s statement (50 words or fewer) as a MS Word document.
- Attach your submission (1,500 words or fewer) as a MS Word document.
- Submissions are now being accepted. Deadline is midnight, Oct. 15, 2020.
THE FINE PRINT
Entries received are judged on a rubric that includes originality, design and creativity, demonstrated writing skills, and appropriateness to contest theme.
Whatcom READS will publish a print and electronic anthology of the top entries received. People who submit top entries will be invited to make a public presentation of their work.
By submitting an entry, writers grant permission to Whatcom READS to share their entries, in part or in whole, in the anthology and in other Whatcom READS print and digital publications, websites and social media sites, and public presentations. Rights return to the author upon publication.
PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED WHATCOM WRITES COLLECTIONS
Have questions about Whatcom WRITES? Contact us!