Want to Suggest a Title?
Contact us! We are accepting suggestions through May 2024 for our 2026 selection.
How We Choose Each Year’s Book
This is the question we receive the most: How do we choose the book and author featured each year for Whatcom READS?
Whatcom READS partners select a title and secure dates on the author’s calendar 1-2 years in advance of their visit to our area. Committee members evaluate suggested books, weighing them against our requirements and having lively discussions about whether they fit our criteria and our community!
Here are some of the criteria we use to make each year’s selection:
- Book should have local ties, addressing cultural, historical or local interests -OR- be written by an author who is from or has ties to our region
- Author must be available to visit Whatcom County
- Author must be an engaging speaker
- Book must have appeal to a wide range of readers
Other important considerations include:
- Availability of the book in multiple formats (for example, paperback, large print, audio, other languages)
- Affordability of the author’s fee and travel costs
- Timeliness of themes in relation to current issues or events
- Opportunities for community discussion and partnerships
The title chosen for the coming year is announced each spring.