Current Size: 100%
About the book selection process
Title/Author possibilities are gathered throughout the year by members of the Whatcom READS! Steering Committee, a group made up of representatives from each of the seven founding institutions. Titles are then discussed and a selection is made based on the following criteria:
- Author must be available to visit Whatcom County;
- Author must be an engaging speaker;
- Book must have appeal to a wide range of readers;
- Book must have cultural, historical, or local interest.
Other considerations include:
- Availability of the book in multiple formats (for example, paperback, large print, audio, other languages, a film tie-in);
- Affordability of the author honorarium fee (Whatcom READS! is funded solely through grants and donations).
Titles for the following year will be selected each spring. The committee welcomes your suggestions.