Current Size: 100%
About the book selection process
We welcome your suggestions! Visit our contact page and let us know your ideas.
Title/Author possibilities are gathered throughout the year by representatives of Whatcom READS! partner organizations. Titles are then discussed and a selection is made based on the following criteria:
- Author must be available to visit Whatcom County;
- Author must be an engaging speaker;
- Book must have appeal to a wide range of readers;
- Book must have local ties, addressing cultural, historical or local interests and/or be written by an author who is from or has ties to our region.
Other considerations include:
- Availability of the book in multiple formats (for example, paperback, large print, audio, other languages, a film tie-in);
- Affordability of the author honorarium fee (Whatcom READS! is funded solely through grants and donations).
Titles for the coming year are selected and announced each spring.
2016: A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki
2015: The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown (video)
2014: Wild by Cheryl Strayed (video)
2013: Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson (video)
2012: In the Presence of the Enemy by Elizabeth George
2011: Border Songs by Jim Lynch
2010: Old School by Tobias Wolff
2009: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie